Tuesday, July 14, 2026

Freedom, in French

 



There are some songs that stay with you long after they have ended. Ma Liberté is one of them for me.

It is deeply woven into French popular culture, almost carrying the kind of emotional familiarity that Vande Mataram holds for many Indians. There is something about the song, its words and its longing for freedom that makes it feel much larger than a song.

I have had the pleasure of being a student of French since my school days, and along the way, I found myself falling in love with far more than the language. The history, literature, music and culture opened little windows into another way of seeing the world.

Many of those impressions have stayed with me, and continue to inspire me even today. So, on 14 July, I wanted to share one of those songs that has remained with me.

I hope you enjoy Ma Liberté as much as I do.

Joyeux 14 Juillet! 🇫🇷

No comments:

Thank You, Gloria!

More than a generation of women owe something of their lives, their choices, and their freedom to this woman. Thank you, Gloria, for being ...