Friday, January 20, 2023
Chaddi Pehen Ke Phool Khila Hai!
I love Gulzar and Vishal Bhardwaj for the masterpieces they have given us in Bollywood. But “Chaddi Pehen Ke Phool Khila Hai” will always rank among my top five songs created by them! I loved this song as a little kid, as a teenager, as an adult, and now as a mother whose child enjoys it too. That, to me, is the mark of a truly immortal song.
I barely remember the episodes of The Jungle Book, Hindi series, and knowing my inclination towards watching things, I doubt I was particularly invested in following the series either. But this song? Oh, I stayed for this song!
Even today, whenever I hum it, my heart skips a beat as I sing that little line, “Chaddi pehen ke phool khila hai, phool khila hai!” before launching straight into the chorus. “Jungle jungle pata chala hai, chaddi pehen ke phool khila hai!”
Language is such a beautiful thing. The imagery here is delightful. A little bud is blooming into a flower, and the jungle is abuzz with the news. And then comes the cheeky wordplay. Mowgli, after all, is always running around in his little loincloth, or chaddi, as we would call it. The innocent image of a flower blooming gets a wonderfully mischievous twist.
What a brilliant way to play with language, rhythm, and a tune that refuses to leave your head! Moments like these remind me why art matters. It slips into our childhood, stays with us through the years, and somehow finds its way into the lives of our children, too.
Some songs entertain us. Others become a part of us. This one surely does both! 😍
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thank You, Gloria!
More than a generation of women owe something of their lives, their choices, and their freedom to this woman. Thank you, Gloria, for being ...
-
"Truth is a a pathless land". So dramatically glorified as "The Chosen One" by the Theosophists, dissolves the or...
-
Sharing glimpses of one of my favorite character's from Kung Fu Panda movie (2008) - Master Ooway! 1. What an amazing perspectiv...
No comments:
Post a Comment